This week has been one of those weeks where I am in need of something light and happy. I find myself surfing the internet for something that will make me laugh. I am not sure if it is my age, or just me, but certain television shows are like comfort food for me. Writing and researching this particular blog post was just what I needed this week. I hope you enjoy it as well.
1. Chuckles Bites the Dust on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. The Mary Tyler Moore Show was on Saturday nights when I was young – in the 70s. I have always remembered this episode for making me laugh and because it is so something that could have happened to me. I have a very fine line between laughing and crying and, if I get nervous, I could very easily go either way. Apparently Mary had the same problem. The clip starts at the funeral for Chuckles the Clown, who was dressed as a peanut and was killed by an elephant in a parade who tried to “shell” him.
2. The Dentist Scene on The Carol Burnett Show. At the same age that I was watching Mary Tyler Moore, I was also enjoying The Carol Burnett Show. If I recall correctly, Mary Tyler Moore was on first in the evening, then The Bob Newhart Show, and then Carol Burnett. My brother and I would often spend the night with my grandmother and I have such fond memories of the three of us laughing so hard at Harvey and Tim – especially when they lost it in the scene and laughed as well.
3. The Johnny Carson Show. How can you not love Johnny? My particular favorites were his segments with little kids. His facial expressions and reactions are what makes me laugh.
4. Frasier. Frasier is one of the few shows, in my opinion, that remained funny throughout its entire run. All of the characters in the show – Niles, Daphne, Martin, Roz and, of course, Frasier himself – are so well-played and well cast. It is too hard for me to pick a favorite Frasier clip, but the below made me laugh several times.
5. Modern Family. This show is our current favorite to watch. We record it and enjoy watching the episodes for a second (even sometimes a third) time as we laugh at lines we didn’t hear the first time around. Like Frasier, this show is incredibly well cast. I love all of the characters and think the actors do wonderful jobs making them believable. Again, this was hard for me to pick a favorite clip. The below is of the introduction of Mitchell and Cam’s adopted baby to the family.